Employee service recognition programs are integral to the success of any business and the overall productivity of its employees. It is important to realize that employees not only want good pay and benefits; they also want to be treated fairly, to make a substantial contribution to the organization through their work, and to be valued and appreciated for their efforts. To show appreciation, many employers implement employee recognition programs in Canada designed to thank employees for a variety of achievements. Employee service awards in Ontario can range from simple spoken or written thank-you notes to cash or gift cards for restaurants to watches, trophies or glass plaques. Department heads and managers are essential for employee recognition, from helping to select recipients, for example, to making time in staff meetings to thank employees for outstanding efforts. The point is to say "thank you" frequently to employees who deserve it (shrm.org).
How to Recognize EmployeesAlthough organizations typically recognize employees' length-of-service milestones and instances of strong individual or team performance, many organizations are beginning to focus on other, less traditional areas for recognition. Morale building is an integral and meaningful part of any employee recognition program in Canada. There are many ways to boost employee and employer morale within any company. Happy employers make for happy employees and thus creates a positive cycle of good business and productivity.
Ideas for Building Morale Within Any Organization
- Promote Work-Life Balance: Make sure that employees are not spending too many overtime hours at work where they can run the risk of burn-out. Encourage employees to spend quality family time in the evening when the work day is done.
- Trust in Leadership: Employers who provide transparent communication within their organization create ease among their employees. Having a genuine open-door policy really makes a difference.
- Social Interactions Among Staff: Scheduling time for events either inside the office or outside in a different setting can make a huge difference in how people interact with one another. People are diverse and seeing them interact outside of a work environment can open the doors for positive possibilities.
- Listen to Employees: Employees have good ideas and initiatives that can transform a business and make it flourish. A happy, mentally-well employee only adds to the bottom line of any company.
- Small Gestures: Consistent "thank yous" are a key ingredient to any successful employee recognition program across Canada. Providing employee service awards in Ontario to acknowledge dedicated, hard work make employees feel valued.